The following tent manufacturers are mentioned or discussed in this post:
INSTALLS EASILY ON ALL CARS, TRUCKS, AND SUVS Our universal mounting system allows your Roofnest to be mounted quickly to any set of crossbars, similar to a bike rack or storage box.
POPS UP IN NO TIME The gas struts pop the tent up as soon as you unbuckle and give it a nudge. Park your car and you can be comfortably resting inside your Roofnest in under a minute.
STORE BEDDING RIGHT IN THE TENT There’s enough room in the Roofnest to store all your bedding when closed so it’s always ready and saves the space in your vehicle.
AERODYNAMIC SHAPE SAVES ON GAS The Roofnest roof top tent is low profile (just under a foot at its highest point) and aerodynamically shaped to lessen road noise and save gas.
WATERPROOF AND DURABLE With stainless steel gas struts, an impermeable ABS‐Fiberglass top, and waterproof canvas walls, you will stay warm and dry inside your Roofnest and have years of carefree use.
FAST FREIGHT AND SHIPPING Ships from our warehouse and arrives within 3-7 business days from time of order.
- 1 Minute Setup: Get out of your car and be ready to camp in 60 seconds.
- Expandable: The Skycamp’s king-size mattress sleeps 4 people.
- Aerodynamic and Lightweight Design: Looks great and fits on most vehicles.
- Customizable: Choose the color of your hard shell and the accessories you want for the best camping experience.
- Detachable: Switch to the Airflow Summer Tent (sold separately) in hot weather, and back to the canvas material for cooler times.
- Breathable: Insulating Poly-Cotton Canvas tent fabric.
- Hard Shell Locks:Closing straps have locks to give you peace of mind.
- Quality: The Skycamp is made with love at our own factory in South Korea with quality components and custom molds.
- Sleeps 2+ comfortably.
- Opens in one smooth motion for an instant bedroom.
- Lighter than all the other comparable roof top sleeping solutions on the market today, weighing only 43kgs/93lbs.
- Includes a mattress, all you need to do is add sleeping bags and pillows.
- A durable tent cover made from 1000D PVC protects your tent when not in use.
- Unobstructed views out of all windows.
- Zippered privacy panels on all windows and doors.
- Retractable, sturdy aluminium ladder with foot friendly treads
- Manufactured with a special Oxford tent fabric (400D) — a strong, breathable, mould resistant, waterproof, PVC coated, heavy duty poly-cotton.
- The tent is mounted to an aluminium base that is insulated to keep the cold out.
- No need to install additional extrusions as it comes standard with an aluminium extrusion for securing the optional shower skirt.
- Tent rails are supplied loose to give you flexibility, which allows you to mount the tent onto most load bars and roof racks.
- An easily removable HD fly-sheet cover (made from 200D Oxford weatherproof fabric) offers shade during the day, decreased condensation in the morning, and the ability to leave the windows open when it’s raining.
- The windows and door privacy panels zip closed upwards, so that the size of the opening can be adjusted according to privacy needs or weather conditions.
- The windows and door are screened so they can be opened or closed without letting insects in.
- A roof ventilator opening with a mosquito screen reduces condensation while providing a steady source of ventilation.
- Two interior pockets to store gear as well as overhead Velcro loops that could be used for to hang lights and other items.
- Can be mounted on most vehicles to open out over the rear or to open over either side of the vehicle.
- Easy to pitch design means less work and more play
- Thick, 2.5” wall-to-wall foam mattress provides cushy comfort
- Mattress includes removable cover for easy cleaning
- Made from the same lightweight and breathable materials as backcountry tents – 210D nylon
- All windows and the one skylight have solid and mesh panels that zip open to improve ventilation and provide a view of the starry skies
- 210D nylon rainfly with PU coating protects you from the elements
- Aluminum poles are light, strong and pre-set to make pitching a breeze
- Tool-free vehicle mounts means it’s easy to put on and quick to take off
- Locks to roof rack with SKS Lock Cores (included) for added security
- Ladder and all hardware are included for easy set up
I was looking for a tent for a 4 door Jeep Wrangler. If I had a 2 door I would not have been able to choose one that took up so much surface are on my roof. The hard sided tents like a RoofNest or iKamper do not fold out and are almost the length of a 4 door wrangler’s roof.
The longer your trip the more likely you are to need additional gear like a shower, shower skirt etc.